1.30.2012

Loved It: Braised Short Ribs with Goat Cheese Mashed Potatoes

I swear making this will make your husband want to propose to you all over again! This dish is that good! The credit goes to Laurelhurst Market. Husband and I ate there quite a while back and he ordered the most tender, delicious short ribs either of us had ever tasted. Just so happens Laurelhurst Market doubles as a butcher shop. So I went there (where else would I go after experiencing their short ribs???) to buy my very own short ribs and get a little advice on how to cook them.  Well the guys behind the counter were super nice and helpful, and when I asked for help on how to best cook them they directed me to the back of the restaurant to speak with the chef! She told me exactly how to cook the ribs and what I should use and let me tell you,  I was very happy with how they turned out!  So now I'd like to share with you what she shared with me.


Braised Short Ribs with Goat Cheese Mashed Potatoes
  • Beef Short Ribs (I was cooking for two, so I used two)
  • Beef Stock
  • Balsamic Vinegar
  • Port Wine
  • 1 Fennel bulb
  • 1 white onion
  • Prunes (I used about 8)
  • 1 clove of Garlic
  • 1 Orange
  • Herbs ( I used rosemary, thyme and oregano) 
  • Olive Oil
Goat Cheese Mashed Potatoes
  • Yukon Gold Potatoes (I use 2 potatoes per person)
  • about 4 ounces of herbed goat cheese
  • 1 stick of butter
  • 1/4 cup of milk
Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Heat up 2 to 3 tbsp of olive oil in a large dutch oven on the stove top over medium high. Pat the short ribs dry and season heavily with salt and pepper. Brown the short ribs in the olive oil on all sides. (a couple minutes per side) Don't be afraid of getting those ribs super brown! Even if they are a little black on the edges that's good! While the ribs are cooking on the stove top, rough chop the onion, fennel and garlic. Also, quarter the orange and measure out about a cup of stock. Once the ribs are caramelized add in the fennel, onion and garlic and prunes. Pour in the stock and add about another cup of Port. I eyeballed it all. (the chef was very vague when it came to measurements) Trow in a few good, strong dashes of balsamic vinegar.(again, I eyeballed it. If I had to guess I'd say 2-3 tbsp)  Squeeze the juice from the orange in and then toss in the orange peel. Last but not least add in the herbs. (I put them in whole, no need to chop!) Give it all one good stir and put the lid on and place in the oven. Let cook for 2-2 1/2 hours. 
     For the mashed potatoes you want to peel and halve them and boil for 15 to 20 minutes. When they are done boiling mash them in a bowl with the goat cheese, butter and milk. If you're really feeling ambitious go ahead and whip them with an electric mixer! I served everything up with a tossed green salad. (you know, to keep things healthy.) Enjoy!
 



1 comment:

  1. Love that place! And not just cause my cousin is co-owner/ head chef, go David! Can't wait to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete